Social Sharing Buttons

Programmer

I’ve looked for many years for a light-weight social sharing button app which I could use on my website and blogs. There are lots of plugins out there to place buttons on your website or blog so that others can share your content on the social media site of their choice, but most are not light-weight.
I even wrote my own x_soc which is probably the lightest-weight version there is. x_soc only works on websites (not blogs) and is not very customizable – basically there are two sizes of buttons and only six social networks to choose from. But Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are there as well as email and print.
Speaking of email and print, many plugins do not offer those options.

I used AddToAny on my blog a long time ago, but that was not lightweight. Lightweight means it loads very quickly.
AddThis appeared to be lighter-weight, still robust, but lighter. I use W3 Total Cache plugin on my WordPress blog to speed things up.
AddtoAny loads quickly enough. So I thought I&’;d use it on my website. That was all well and good, but the social media buttons never showed and I get daily emails reminding me to add them to my website. I probably didn’t read the instructions thoroughly enough.

Then I found Social9 – aka Simplified Social Share. I went to Social9.com. Selected the buttons I wanted, grabbed the code and applied it to my website. For my blog, I added a new plugin, searched for Social9, found Simplified Social Share (also titled Open Social Share), and installed it. (Luckily only one plugin is found when searching for Social9 via WordPress, so I got the correct one). I activated it. Then I went to settings and chose the buttons I wanted.

There are a few issues with Social9 – it’s not perfect but it comes plenty close enough.
The first issue is that the counter counts when a user click on a share button. It doesn’t wait until the user actually shares. I don’t really care about that.
The other issue only exists when adding the code to a website (not a blog). When you’ve added the code, if you test it on your laptop (rather than loading it to the web first), your page will spin forever. There are two sections of code – one that goes at the bottom of your page before </body>, and one that goes where you want your social buttons to go. I got around this spinning issue by placing this second bit of code in a javascript if statement to only show the buttons when I’m access the uploaded version of the site.
<script>if (window.location.protocol == ‘file:’){x_d_w(‘<p>***Social Media Buttons***</p>’)}else{document.write(‘<div class=”oss-widget-interface” style=”padding-left:2em”></div><br>’)}</script>

Now it spins for a bit, but does finish.